St Thomas Centre Nursery School is situated very close to Birmingham City Centre and fosters strong links with its local community.
We are proud of our achievements over the past years, which include becoming Birmingham's First Early Excellence Centre, being part of the Birmingham Nursery School Consortium, a lead school for School Centred Initial Teacher Training and, most recently, achieving Teaching School designation working in partnership with three other nursery schools.
We are federated with 8 other Birmingham Local Authority Maintained Nursery Schools to form The Birmingham Federation of Maintained Nursery Schools:
- Allens Croft Nursery School, Jakeman Nursery School, Shenley Fields Nursery School
- Adderley Nursery School, Graceland Nursery School, Highfield Nursery School
- Lillian De Lissa Nursery School, Newtown Nursery School, St Thomas Centre Nursery School
In our school:
- Up to 27 languages are spoken in the nursery. The most popular are Arabic and Somali.
- Staff in the Centre can speak 11 different languages including Kurdish, Arabic, Hindi, Polish, Italian and Urdu
- 30% of children receive Free School Meals in their nursery year.
- Children transferred to 29 different primary schools in July 2020
- An increasing number of children access places for 2 year olds.
- 61% of children attended St Thomas Centre Nursery School prior to their nursery year either through 2 year funded places or fee paying places.